Work with the TLC—when we have opportunities available, they are listed below.
science & planning manager
Applications close 18 November, 2019
The Tasmanian Land Conservancy is seeking a Science and Planning Manager to lead the TLC Science and Planning Team to support the organisation to achieve its vision for Tasmania to be a global leader in nature conservation. This is a fantastic opportunity to join an organisation that offers a supportive and welcoming working environment and to contribute to nature conservation in Tasmania.
The Tasmanian Land Conservancy (TLC) is a not-for-profit, non-government, registered environmental organisation. Since its inception in 2001, the organisation has grown to be one of the largest private land holders in Tasmania. It has an annual income of more than $2m from public fundraising campaigns, grants and conservation business opportunities and employs 22 staff across the organisation. At the TLC we pride ourselves on our collaborative, outcome-focused workplace, and we respect and acknowledge the diversity of people, culture and communities. The TLC seeks new ways to achieve conservation that values nature and the economic, cultural and social benefits it provides us all.
- Develop and deliver the TLC’s Knowing Nature Strategy in line with missions outlined in the TLC’s Strategic Plan 2016 – 2020.
- Lead a cohesive conservation science program proactively delivering across the areas of ecological monitoring, prioritisation and planning, reserve acquisition, scientific and biodiversity assessment, management effectiveness and effective reporting.
- Deliver rigorous and robust long-term ecological monitoring, management planning and reporting across the TLC reserve estate.
- Assist in the development and management of financial budgets in accordance with defined delegations, financial controls and reporting requirements.
- Foster existing and build new initiatives and collaborative applied research partnerships with a diverse range of local, national and international institutions to deliver the organisation’s strategic objectives.
- Harness volunteer effort and grant funding opportunities to support the TLC’s science program.
- Utilise contemporary scientific applications to better demonstrate conservation priorities and progress towards achieving goals.
- Promote a safe working environment in accordance with the TLC’s policies and procedures, including Workplace Health and Safety, People and Culture and Fieldwork.
- Contribute to other TLC activities including coordinating field work, leading community engagement activities at a variety of events, contribute to staff, management team and board meetings and represent the TLC at science related forums.
- Provide leadership, direction and advice to the TLC in relation to conservation science and applied research.
- Provide support to the TLC Conservation Science and Planning Advisory Council; a subcommittee of the TLC Board that provides knowledge and expertise to inform and guide the TLC’s conservation activities.
- Other duties as directed by the Chief Executive Officer.
The position on offer is full time (100% FTE) and based in Hobart, Tasmania. The TLC provides a flexible work environment where a good work-life balance can be maintained.
A remuneration package based on TLC Executive Level 1 (between $95,000 and $105,000 plus statutory superannuation) is offered, commensurate with qualifications, skills and experience.
To apply please include the following and send to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- An introductory cover letter
- Your resume (including contact details of two referees)
- A statement addressing the Skills and Competencies listed in the position description (above)
Applications close: 18 November, 2019.
Banner photo: Peter Sands