Thanks to volunteers just like you, we are closer to achieving our vision of Tasmania becoming a global leader in nature conservation and sustainability.
Important COVID-19 Safety Notice
We have provisionally reactivated our volunteer program on a case-by-case basis, maintaining strict compliance with state and federal government, and the TLC’s own, COVID-19 safety guidelines. The safety of volunteers, staff and community is paramount in planning and delivering volunteering activities.
Supporting COVID-19 containment efforts still requires everyone, including TLC staff and volunteers, to minimise contact with others and to take measures to help stop the spread.
Accordingly, we will be implementing the following safety measures:
- The number of volunteer participants will be scaled-back at each activity.
- Volunteers will be required to provide proof that they are up to date with vaccines including boosters according to their eligibility.
- Volunteers may be required to undertake a rapid antigen test (RAT) and return a negative result immediately before participating in an activity.
- Volunteers and staff will maintain a minimum 1.5 meter distance between each other while working and there will be no more than one person per 2 meters squared at indoor volunteer activities.
- Current mask mandates will be followed.
- Volunteers and staff will only travel in vehicles together if absolutely necessary to perform duties. The number of occupants will be kept to a minimum. Whilst driving, masks will be worn, common touch points will be disinfected and windows will be lowered whenever possible.
- At overnight activities, volunteers will camp separately and self-cater.
- Volunteers and staff will not be permitted to attend activities if they have the following symptoms:
- fever (or signs of fever including chills or night sweats)
- runny nose
- sore/itchy throat, or
- shortness of breath.
- Hand sanitiser will be available and its use encouraged at all volunteer activities.
- Common touch points will be wiped down with disinfectant wipes routinely.
- Tools will be exclusively allocated to individuals for the duration of the activity and washed thoroughly after use.
- The TLC will not be facilitating volunteer carpooling at this time. Volunteers will be encouraged to travel independently to TLC volunteer activities.
Please contact our Community Engagement Coordinator, Phillip Laroche, if you have any questions or comments.
Our community of committed volunteers are vital to the success of our conservation work. Our volunteers contribute valuable effort, skills and expertise across all areas of the organisation including science projects, ecological monitoring, reserve management activities, governance, event support, mail outs, photography and much more.
Involving volunteers in our conservation work also greatly reduces our costs. For example, during 2017-2018, 190 individual volunteers contributed 935.47 days of work which is equivalent to $263,503.11 worth of paid work. We are enormously grateful for this contribution.
Volunteering with us is a great way to:
- participate in achieving the TLC’s nature conservation goals
- experience the TLC’s magnificent reserves up close
- be active and increase your well-being
- meet like-minded people and make new friends
- develop and enhance valuable skills
- become a citizen scientist
- support the TLC in kind
The TLC is committed to giving you the best possible volunteer experience, so we have developed some guidelines to help us deliver on our commitment. The TLC Volunteer Involvement Policy Statement provides clarity about volunteer rights and responsibilities as well as outlining expectations for volunteers, the TLC and TLC staff. You can download your copy by clicking the link to the right.
Would you like to share a great TLC volunteering experience, or advice on how we can improve our volunteer program? You can now leave your volunteer feedback anytime. Just email Phillip Laroche.
Would you like to volunteer?
If you would like to volunteer with the TLC please register for an advertised volunteering opportunity or tell us your availability, preferences and skills by filling in our quick registration form below. We will contact you with details of upcoming volunteering opportunities suitable to you, as and if they become available. Please keep in mind that TLC volunteer opportunities, especially skilled roles, are limited and popular. Please note that by registering to volunteer, you are also opting in to receive TLC news and updates, event invitations and campaigns.You can choose manage your email preferences when you receive your first email from us.
*Banner image: Volunteers cleaning up a Revolving Fund property for sale Credit: Chris Crerar