Many of Tasmania 's unique species and their habitat are still under threat; the TLC is working to change that.
The Tasmanian Land Conservancy (TLC) aims to protect areas with high conservation values for species which are not adequately protected. These are small but crucial parts of the jigsaw, which contribute to our goal – the creation of a network of natural areas that truly deliver long-term security for our native species and ecosystems.
Who we are
The Tasmanian Land Conservancy is a registered environmental organisation. We raise funds from the public to protect irreplaceable sites, endangered species’ habitats, and rare ecosystems by buying and managing private land.
How we work
We employ many and innovative methods to protect Tasmania’s special species and ecosystems:
1. Permanent reserves – Land which we raise money to purchase, protect and manage in perpetuity.
2. Revolving reserves - Land which is purchased, protected and re-sold with covenants intact to new owners keen to support conservation. In this way we free up capital to reinvest into the next property so every precious dollar is used over and over again.
3. Working with landowners - To protect critical ecological values on private properties. Working in partnership with the Tasmanian and Australian governments, corporate sponsors, and most importantly, private land holders we assist in conserving vital habitat on privately-owned land.
Read the TLC story here.
Our partners in other organisations and in government are critical to our conservation results. In particular we appreciate the close working relationship with our government and non-government partners, particularly Bush Heritage Australia, the Tasmanian Government’s Protected Areas on Private Land programme and the Australian Government’s National Reserve System.
It is also of great importance that we acknowledge and thank the private landowners who have the vision and commitment to either buy a revolving fund property or to establish protected areas on land they own.
Our vision is for Tasmania to be a global leader in nature conservation and sustainability.
2050 Mission — In partnership with other organisations, communities, individuals and governments the TLC will:
- Take a leadership role in building a landscape-scale approach to conservation including a world-class system of reserves complemented by sustainable development.
- Demonstrate excellence in management for biodiversity conservation.
- Contribute to Tasmania becoming a centre ofknowledge and expertise for nature conservation and planning.
- Develop and implement innovative mechanisms for achieving sustainability and biodiversity conservation.
- Provide opportunities and mechanisms for communities and individuals to achieve conservation.
- Demonstrate organisational leadership through exceptional governance, a positive working environment and financial sustainability.
ABN: 88 743 606 934